Main news

Three women found dead in sea off Brighton were sisters taken ‘tragically far too soon’

Three women found dead in sea off Brighton were sisters taken ‘tragically far too soon’

Three women who died in the sea off Brighton in unclear circumstances were sisters from “whose lives ended so tragically far too soon”, their father has said.

Emergency services were called to the beach after concerns were raised about a person spotted in the water at around 5.45am on Wednesday 13 May near Madeira Drive.

Three bodies were later recovered from the sea nearby after the coastguard deployed a helicopter and rescue teams to assist with efforts.

Now, Sussex Police has identified the women as sisters Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walter, 32, and Rebecca Walter, 31, from the Uxbridge area of north west London.

Their father Joseph paid tribute to his daughters “whose lives ended so tragically far too soon”.

A statement, he said: “Jane, Christina, and Becky were more than daughters to me; they were my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love.

“Each of you was unique and precious in your own special way. Your smiles brightened dark days, your laughter brought comfort, and your presence made life more meaningful.

“Though your time on earth was short, the impact you made will remain in our hearts forever.”

He added: “The tragedy of losing all three of you has left an emptiness that words cannot heal. There are days when the grief feels unbearable, yet I hold tightly to the memories we shared — the laughter, the conversations, the love, and the bond that death can never take away.”

The force announced last Thursday that it had carried out extensive enquiries to identify the three women. Their next of kin were all informed and specialist officers are supporting their families.

An investigation is ongoing to understand how all three women came to be in the water, police said, adding there was no evidence to suggest third-party involvement or criminality.

Police have reviewed hundreds of hours of CCTV and conducted enquiries at properties and businesses around the beach area to trace the women’s last movements.

Last week, Brighton and Hove City Council leader Bella Sankey called the incident "the most devastating news" the city had received "for a very long time".

"I can't think of anything more tragic or more horrendous, really," she told BBC Radio Sussex. "This is the last thing that anyone wants or expects to happen."

Peter Kyle, MP for Hove and Portslade, said the incident was a "sobering and heartbreaking reminder that our families, neighbours and communities are what is important".

“I am desperately upset for the families and friends of these women,” he said on Wednesday. "Our seafront is one of the many jewels in the crown of our city, but the sea can be a risk.

"However, for tonight I shall only be thinking about the families and friends affected by this tragedy."

The force has appealed for anyone with information to come forward, or who may have seen the three women around the Madeira Drive area between 10pm on Tuesday, 12 May, and 5.30am on Wednesday, 13 May.

Chief Superintendent Adam Hays, Divisional Commander for Brighton and Hove said: “The thoughts of everyone at Sussex Police are with the family of Jane, Christina and Rebecca following this devastating loss.

“I know this incident has had a profound impact on the local community in Brighton, and across the country and I’d like to reassure the public we will leave no stone unturned in our investigation to understand exactly what led to the tragic events of that Wednesday morning.

“This investigation will continue in earnest, with Jane, Christina and Rebecca’s family at its centre. I would ask that they are given the privacy to come to terms with this terrible tragedy.”

You may have missed